An act of spontaneity.
"Hunching your shoulder, being torn two ways, very eclectic playlist, a large coffee mug filled with tea, art supplies in glass jar, struggling for the right words, window seats, the ocean, misty forest, baggy sweaters, a warmth in your stomach when you look at someone you love, glass that slide down your nose, half - written stories, comforting a friend, crying over a death of a baby bird... "
~Anonymous(confessions)
It was warm, yet there was a cold breezy wind, dancing through the dangling leaves. Flowers bloomed as usual, yet it was a bit sombre.
My workplace has a very serene environment. Lush greenery, rain drops still resting on the grass, whistling of the she-oaks, dainty flowers, the sweetest aura of pink and red roses that summons the wavering butterflies, and lots of dragonflies. It also home for many birds such as bulbuls, sparrows and parrots often visit to devour and relish the mouth watering ripened guavas, perching and chirping on the branches, enjoying it to the fullest.
One such day, one of my colleague while looking for the finest guavas, found a visitor lying on the ground, motionless, beautiful feathers laden with dirt. The locals call them "the Latkan totha" and in general, it is the "Indian hanging parrot"(Vernal hanging parrot). He held her carefully. Her body was still warm, but she wasn't alive anymore. We couldn't figure the cause of her death but we found a tiny hole somewhere near her leg. Ants already made their way into it.
It wasn't a pretty sight for me.
I just didn't feel like throwing her body away somewhere in the dirt. I couldn't think of suddenly abandoning her, letting her body rot like some garbage.
Even though, in such a lifeless state, I felt like giving her some pamper and affection. Call me silly but that is what I truly felt.
Then an act of spontaneity occured to me.
I and my colleague decided to give her a proper funeral.
We buried her right beneath her favorite guava tree, where i fixed a broken asbestos as her tombstone and kept two to three tiny flowers along with a twig. I took a permanent marker and wrote on her improvised tombstone,
"Here lies a beautiful bird."
D. O. D - 12-08-22.


.jpeg)
Comments